Whiteside Mountain Trail
This excellent loop, designated a National Recreation Trail, climbs to the top of Whiteside Mountain, with its spectacular 700′ high cliff walls lofting the hiker for amazing views. Take a camera, as the cliff-top views are lined with beautiful mountain laurel which blooms in mid-june. See relics from the past, when Whiteside Mountain was a tourist attraction. You’ll pass through some pleasant woods along the way.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Total Length: 2.5 mi
- Trail Tread Condition: Moderately Rough
- Climb: Hilly
- Lowest Elevation: 4410 ft
- Highest Elevation: 4930 ft
- Total Elevation Gain: 600 ft
- Trails/Roads Used: Whiteside Mountain National Recreation Trail
- Hike Configuration: Loop w/ very short out-and-back extension
- Starting point: Whiteside Mountain Parking Area
- How to Get There: From the corner of Main Street and NC 106 in Highlands, follow US 64 East for 5.4 miles. Turn right onto Whiteside Mt. Rd. (SR 1600). There is a sign for Whiteside Mountain Recreation Area. Follow for 1 mile to the signed parking area on the left. There is a $2.00/day area use fee at Whiteside Mountain Recreation Area.
– by hikewnc.info